Monday, August 5, 2013

About time...

Wow, it’s been a while.  Things have certainly changed in our little corner of the world – some for better, some for worse. 

I don’t always understand the curve balls that life throws our way.  In fact, sometimes it’s just maddening.  There have been so many ups and downs in the last 2 ½ years.  We bought a new house and entered into the world of landlords (we couldn’t sell our townhouse and had outgrown it so we're renting it out).  We both have new jobs that are making us happier and improving our professional lives.  We have a four year old that constantly challenges us but also brings so much joy to our lives.

We’ve had some serious trials as well.  In June 2012 my mom was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, stage four.  This is not good news folks.  Our lives got completely flipped upside down as she went through chemo and radiation treatments from the end of June through early August.  All of her treatments were at the Mayo Clinic which is only about 75 miles away from us.  I was able to travel down there at least once a week to see her (my parents rented a suite in a hotel across the street from the Clinic).  It was an oddly bonding experience for us all I believe.  We were a team, we fought right alongside my mom.  In the end, however, what we all prayed for was not to be.  We lost my mom on September 28 after a three month battle with the most deadly, frightening, vicious disease there is.  Dealing with the biggest loss of my life has been the biggest challenge of my life. 

The past year has also brought immense joy with the birth of twin (TWIN!) boys – Beckett and Declan.  We found out last July that we were pregnant and by the end of August knew that it was twins.  The words “you’ve got to be kidding me” kept going through my head for days/weeks/months.  The truly wonderful part is that my mom knew it was twins and was so excited.  She had just begun to tell people when she passed.  I’m so happy she had that joy after a nightmare of a summer. 

The twins were born by c-section on March 27 at 38 weeks, 3 days.  Quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself.  Both were over 7 pounds and very healthy.  No NICU time, no scary moments and we all got to go home together on Easter Sunday which also happened to be my husband’s birthday.  Such a great way to celebrate!

We are now a family of five and loving every minute of it.  It's exhausting, don't get me wrong, but my boys put the biggest smile on my face.  And after a year like this last one, those smiles mean all the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment