Thursday, October 15, 2009

It was bound to happen at some point...

Well, I knew it would happen at some point but didn't think it would be so soon.  We made our first trip to the emergency room last week.  I got a call from Jackson's daycare on Wednesday afternoon saying that he had a high fever (101) and I needed to come get him.  In this day of H1N1, schools and daycares are really strict about dealing with sick kids.  I had received a similar call the previous Friday and just assumed that the end result would be the same -- I would show up to get Jackson and he would be his usual cheerful, smiley self.  Unfortunately that was not the case.  I immediately knew that this was different when I got to his daycare.  Jackson was burning up and started crying the minute I touched him.  They took his temperature again before we left and it confirmed the 101 degree fever they told me about. 

When I got him home I called the doctor who told me to bring him in, that it probably wasn't anything to be too worried about but because he is so young, they wanted to see him.  Off we went to the pediatrician's office.  Our pediatrician's office is great.  They have extended hours everynight so despite the fact that it was almost 6pm, we were able to see a doctor right away.  They took some blood and did a chest x-ray and found nothing.  They gave me a diagnosis of the flu and sent us on our merry way.  We were to watch his temperature and come back if it got worse. 

Once we arrived home, Scott gave him a bottle. He drank the whole thing which I took as a good sign.  The doctor said it was important that he keep hydrated.  About an hour or so later we were getting him ready for bed and the vomiting started.  Projectile vomiting to be precise.  It was by far the scariest thing I've seen so far with regards to Jackson.  We got him cleaned up and took his temperature again.  By then it was up to 102.  We called the nurses hotline (at this point it was after 9pm) and after talking with her, she sent us off to Children's Hospital to get him checked out again.  Needless to say, Scott and I were scared to death.  With all sorts of horrible stories about H1N1 and a three month old baby, I just had no idea what was in store for us. 

After 45 minutes waiting in the waiting room at Children's, we were taken back and poor Jackson was poked and proded some more.  More blood was taken and an IV was put in.  Luckily, all the tests came back negative and with a dose of Tylenol, his temperature was on the way down.  By 2am we were all on our way back home, a little worse for the wear but oh well.  They told us to watch him over the next 24 hours and to have him seen again if things didn't improve.  The poor little guy had had a rough night, as had his parents!  I stayed home with him on Thursday and amazingly, he continued to improve throughout the day.  By Thursday  night he was about 80% and we decided that we could still go on our trip to Maine for a friend's wedding.  It was a very scary situation although I know many parents go through so much worse.  It really does make you realize that regardless of the severity of the situation, as a parent, your heart just bleeds for your child.  Seeing little Jackson lying on that big bed with an IV in and a splint on his hand (to prevent him from ripping out the IV) was really scary.  Everything is better now though.  He's back to his usual self -- smiling, cooing and making his parents beam with pride. 

Here are a couple of pictures from the trip to the ER -- of course we had to bring his favorite green blanket to keep him calm.

I think in this picture he looks better than I felt!  He did such a great job dealing with everything -- all with a really high fever.

I think part of his miraculous recovery was due to a long weekend with Grandma and Grandpa.  That can cure anything!  Scott and I had a great time in Maine.  I'll post pictures as soon as we get them all loaded on the computer.  It was so much fun to catch up with old friends and the leaves were gorgeous.  We missed the first snow of the season here in Minneapolis if you can believe that.  We should still be enjoying autumn but instead we are all thinking about winter.  Yikes!

Up next for this weekend -- Iowa vs. Wisconsin in football.  There could be alot of tension in this house on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment