Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Haircut

It was a big weekend for us -- on Saturday Jackson got his first haircut.  I've been holding off for as long as I thought acceptable but I finally gave in.  He needed it.  It was time.

I made the appointment for a kids salon so they would (hopefully) know how to deal with a child who absolutely, in no uncertain terms, wanted to get his hair cut.  Turns out I didn't need to be worried.  While I was having an anxiety attack over the whole thing, Jackson was as cool as a cucumber.  Give my son a new experience and he takes it all in, no problem at all.  He didn't even mind having to wait 20 minutes because they were busy.  Here are some pictures from the big event.

A pre-cut picture.  The salon gave each child an "adventure pass" that they could redeem afterwards for a prize.  Jackson's prize was a skull and crossbones sticker.  I believe it is now currently in our garbage.  Oh well.  Cute idea though!


Getting ready!  As you can tell, Jackson was a little unsure about what was going to happen -- or maybe it was sitting in the Bumbo which he hasn't used in many months.  Each station had a TV with cartoons playing to help distract the kids.  What a great idea!



Jackson has an adorable stuffed monkey that he got from Gramma Carter for his birthday.  We brought that along as a little security toy. 


Hamming it up for the camera.



The finished product.  Not the best picture ever but oh well.  I'm having a hard time admitting that my little boy isn't really a baby anymore so I didn't have them cut too much hair off.  Just enough so that he no longer looks like he's sporting a mullet.


We had "one year" portraits taken on Sunday.  I know, it's a month late but July really got away from me and this was the earliest we could do it.  Jackson just loves the camera and he took some great pictures, including some cute ones in his little Mauer baseball jersey with a Twins hat, baseball and bat.  I can't wait to get them back.

Also on Sunday, the Carters brought over the bookshelf Casey made for Jackson.  Kind of a belated birthday gift.  Wow!  It's just perfect in his new bedroom!  It has four shelves for books on top and two bins for toys on the bottom. 


I think he likes it!  It looks even better now that it's full of Jackson's books and toys.


So, we're still really busy but loving watching Jackson grow!  Some of the things he is really enjoying these days are playing with Little People, chasing the kitties around the house, opening and closing doors (especially the french doors with windows in them -- he likes to look through and see what's on the other side after he's closed the doors), climbing onto anything and everything, and reading.  In the last month or two his love of books and reading has become very apparent.  He loves to pick out a book, bring it to us and sit on our laps while we read it to him.  Then he will go get another book -- this can go on for quite some time.  And I love every minute of it!  His favorite book right now is "Goodnight Moon."  That was one of my favorites too so I love reading it to him. 

As summer winds down, we are looking forward to a trip to the Minnesota State Fair and another week up at the cabin over Labor Day.  We are also looking forward to temperatures that aren't flirting with 100 and the cool days that fall brings.  We hope everyone is doing well! 

Until next time, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment