Friday, May 1, 2009

Week 30 Happenings

I want to quickly congratulate some friends of ours, Brian and Annie, who just found out that they are having a boy in September. Scott and I are so excited for them! I'm sure there will be lots of playdates and Twins games as our kids grow up. Congratulations Gibsons! You are going to be great parents!

Another week down, 10 more to go. I can't believe I've made it into the 30s. It seems like just yesterday I was eagerly awaiting Elmo's first kick and now he's moving all day long, especially in the mid-afternoon and late evening. I can actually see my stomach move when he decides to flip over. The Braxton-Hicks contractions are also in full swing. They started maybe two weeks ago and have been getting progressively more frequent. From what my OB says, however, this is all normal and just my body's way of preparing for the big event. Monday night in our childbirth class, we take a tour of the Labor & Delivery floor at the hospital. I have a feeling that that will make everything very real! I'm so excited though and really can't wait to meet Elmo! Here is what's happening with Elmo this week:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

I'm off to Sioux City this weekend for a baby shower that is being thrown for me by three of my Mom's closest friends. I've known these women practically my whole life and am so grateful for everything that they have done for me over the years (I know this means the world to my Mother too). The same three ladies threw me a wonderful bridal tea the morning of our wedding in 2007. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Thing I'm most grateful for this week: warmer weather -- it's beginning to get quite difficult to put socks on! Being able to slip into sandals or flip flops without bending over is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment