Friday, April 24, 2009

Week 29 and TGIF!!

Before we go too far, I just have one thing to say. Oh how I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach again! I've always been a stomach sleeper and now that the aches and pains of pregnancy are in full swing, sleeping on my side is killing me! My hips hurt, my stomach aches, my shoulders get squished and end up being sore for hours after I wake up. Being comfortable is definitely a thing of the past. All of this and I wake up every three hours to make a mad dash to the bathroom, in the dark, tripping over cats and shoes and whatever else I've left on the floor because I'm too tired at the end of the day to put it away. Sigh. Oh well, I digress.

Anyway, today marks Week 29 -- 77 days to go until my due date! Here's what Elmo's pre-occupied with this week (other than kicking me in the ribs which I secretly love):

Your baby is growing rapidly now. This week he weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is getting bigger to accommodate his growing brain — which is busy developing billions of neurons. Every day, about 200 milligrams of calcium is deposited in your baby's skeleton, which is now hardening. With this rapid growth, it's no surprise that your baby's nutritional needs reach their peak during this trimester. The brain can control primitive breathing and body temperature control, and the eyes can move in the sockets. The baby is becoming sensitive to light, sound, taste and smell. Now, I wonder how experts know a baby can smell in utero?

Everything went well at my OB appointment this week. Growth is right where it should be and my doctor said Elmo has flipped and is now head down, just where he should be for birth. We've switched to twice-a-month appointments so I head back on May 5. I can't say it enough -- time just flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment